Fresh Cut Trees At Alstede Farms
A Cherished Family Tradition is also Eco-Friendly!
The smell of real pine in the month of December means Christmas and there is no better way to bring the family together than to spend the day picking out the perfect tree and that special wreath. And, believe it or not, it’s the Green Way to Go! Yes, buying a real tree is the greener choice, because artificial trees are made using a polyvinyl chloride (PVC) a petroleum-derived plastic which is non-renewable and polluting. (Producing PVC results in the unhealthy emission of a number of carcinogens!)
Real Christmas trees are biodegradable and while they are growing, they help to sequester the carbon dioxide that is produced by modern industry. (Each year, an acre of Douglas fir trees can absorb 11,308.7 lbs. of carbon dioxide.) And Christmas Trees are a cultivated crop just like our fruits and vegetables! So, start (or continue) that Cherished Family Tradition and reduce your carbon footprint at the same time!
We Specialize in LARGE Trees! We have all sizes from 3 – 16 ft !
Alstede Farms gets multiple deliveries of its plantation grown Christmas trees from Maine and Pennsylvania, so you can be sure of a fresh tree. And we offer trees from 3’ to 16’ in the following varieties: Douglas Fir, Balsam Fir, Concolor Fir, Fraser Fir and Colorado Blue Spruce. Which one makes the best Christmas Tree? Ask five different people and you’ll get five different answers. Each one has its own special qualities:
- The Fraser Fir is the Cadillac of Christmas Trees. It is fragrant, with excellent needle retention,
and lots of depth and space for hanging decorations.
- The Balsam Fir is the most fragrant tree, with short needles that show off your beautiful ornaments. With good needle retention this tree is the Alstede Family’s favorite.
- The Douglas Fir has the best needle retention. The needles are soft and long and the tree is very full. This is a great tree for those who like to decorate immediately after Thanksgiving and wish to keep it up for weeks.
- The Concolor Fir has become a mainstay at Alstede’s due to its good needle retention and soft green color. The fragrance resembles citrus with a distinctive upright appearance.
- The Colorado Blue Spruce has a very beautiful shape, a lovely blue tint to its needles and holds ornaments well. It’s also more cat proof than the firs. However, while the spruce possesses unique beauty, its needle retention is not as good as the firs.
For an additional fee we will be happy to deliver and set up your Christmas tree:
Please Call For Delivery Rates: 908-879-7189
Tree Set Up Rates: (charged in addition to delivery rates):
$49.99 for up to 6′ in height
$79.99 for 7′ – 8.5′
$159.99 for 9′ – 11.5′ (2 men)
$239.99 for 12′ – 14′ (3 men)
$279.99 for 15′ and taller (4 men)
Tree Take Down and Disposal Rates: Same as the set up prices according to size.
Fresh Cut Christmas Tree Care
Thank you for choosing a real fresh cut Christmas tree from Alstede Farms. We want to insure that you have
great joy and satisfaction with your real tree. The following tree care instructions will help you to realize our goal for you.
- Upon purchasing your tree a fresh cut should be made on the butt end of the trunk. This is something that we are happy to do for you free of charge.
- As soon as you arrive home the butt end of the tree should be placed in a bucket of water. You will be amazed by how much water it will initially drink.
- If you are setting your tree up right away, keep in mind that an area of your house away from direct sunlight, heating vents, fireplaces, and wood stoves is best for your tree’s needle retention. Remember to keep the water in your stand full.
- If you are not setting your tree up right away, you should store it in a cool area away from sunlight. Be sure to keep the butt in water and make sure that the water doesn’t run out. You can keep the tree tied up until you are ready to set it up, but remember, keep it out of the sun.
- If for some reason your tree is out of water for more than 24 hours, there should be a new fresh cut made on the butt end of the trunk. Failure to do this will inhibit the tree’s ability to take up water which may reduce needle retention.
- Don’t worry about bringing home a fresh cut tree too early. Actually the best situation is to purchase your tree early and place it in water even if you don’t place it in your home for another week or two. This insures the best selection while at the same time maintains the best freshness.
- We highly recommend the use of tree preservative. We’ve tried lots of different products and antidotes over the years, however, we have found that the “Pine-Life” brand that we carry works the best.
- Remember, if you purchase a really big tree that you can’t handle yourself, or if you are simply too busy, we offer delivery, tree set up, and tree take down services.
All of us at Alstede Farms make every effort to provide you with top quality fresh cut Christmas trees.
Following these recommendations will help to insure your total satisfaction. Thank you for your patronage,
and we always welcome your questions and remarks.